Through a collaborative effort of BPS’s SafeKids Program and the State Bureau of Investigations (SBI), Butner Public Safety (BPS) is proud to announce the initiation of Operation Medicine Drop for the Town of Butner. A secure, permanent drop box will be available for public use in the lobby at Butner Public Safety. This medicine drop box will allow our citizens a place to safely discard expired and unused medication. This is an important program that helps address several significant problems associated with unused and expired drugs in the home, mainly overdose and environmental concerns. BPS is committed to the safety of the Town of Butner and improving the quality of life for its citizens.
Why is it needed?
Unused and expired medications place an incredible toll on public safety and health. Drugs are often left unsecured in cabinets and on counters. Many significant problems are associated with unused and expired drugs in the home:
– Accidental poisoning from ingestion of drugs among children and pets is a common occurrence. Children ages 1-5 account for 23% of all Emergency Department visits related to unintentional poisonings.
– North Carolina has over 7,000 deaths per year in North Carolina due to unintentional prescription medication poisoning.
– Fatal drug overdoses are now the second leading cause of death due to unintentional injury in the U.S., exceeded only by motor vehicle deaths.
– According to the NCDHHS, unintentional medication overdose deaths are projected to surpass motor vehicle deaths in 2018.
– Among young people ages 12-17, prescription drugs have become the second most abused drug behind marijuana.
– 20% of high school seniors in NC have reported taking prescription drugs without a prescription. The most common means of youth accessing drugs is through a friend or relative.
– Drug diversion – theft, burglary, illegal possession, and drug abuse – is a major crime in households where narcotics are present.
– Disposal of unwanted drugs as household trash or by flushing them down the sink is unwise and dangerous to the environment and our water system.
Please help keep our kids and community safe and prevent drugs from falling into the wrong hands by participating in the Operation Medicine Drop.
Butner Public Safety
611 Central Avenue
Butner, NC 27509
Emergency: Dial 9-1-1