Butner Town Council Regular Monthly Meeting
March 4, 2021 Items of Interest
- Council approved purchasing an updated microphone system to be installed in the in the Council Meeting Room that will replace all the individual microphones with an overhead system. This should eliminate the problems with the audience hearing Council Members and help with picking up Council voices with social distancing.
- An AV Bar will be installed in the Council Conference Room to allow for interactive meetings (i.e. Zoom). in small groups with proper social distancing. Two portable radios were approved for Butner Public Safety that will be placed in two fire engines.
- Council authorized staff to pursue a Granville County Tourism Grant for the purchase of a sign monument with LED message board for placement in Gazebo Park as recommended by the Beautification Committee. The sign would be placed near the first entrance heading west on Central Ave. It would display Town announcements and sponsored events. The estimated cost is $25,000 to $30,000.
- The Town Attorney is working with Duke Energy to finalize the contract for additional lighting along HWY 56 and East Lyon Station Rd.
- Tar River Land conservancy will host a site visit to their Robert’s Chapel Location on March 10. They will be asking to assist with funding for their 4 Granville County locations in order to provide walking trails to the public.
- BPS will patrol Gazebo Park for skateboarders who are removing and skating on the benches from the Gazebo.
- Staff is working on budget preparation. The budget retreat is scheduled for Tuesday, March 23.
- Planning staff continue to work on updating the Land Development Ordinance for compliance with state mandated changes as well as incorporating information related to the Butner 2040 Plan.
- The Tractor Supply Store is working on the necessary permits to begin construction.
- A Memorial Day service is planned with guest speaker Mike Turner.
- Mayor Turner has been talking with members of the Hispanic Community to form a cross-culture committee. He will update the Council as things unfold.
- Beautify Butner will be April 24. The Town will provide clean-up and assistance the same as they have provided in the past.
- the TDA is featuring businesses in the southern part of the County who attract out-of-town business for their Social Spotlight. Lake Holt will be featured in April.
- A drive-thru Easter Celebration for the kids will be held by Butner Community Association on Saturday, March 27 from 10:00 – 11:30 am. It is targeted for toddlers and young children. The Town will assist by providing candy and/or small trinkets and traffic control.
- The Butner Church Council food pantry will be holding quarterly food drives during 2021, since pantry use has quadrupled during the pandemic, and some families are rationing food to one meal a day. Banners around Butner will communicate future dates/times. During the pandemic, pantry customers may receive food assistance every 30 days.