The Town of Butner received its initial National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit (#NCS000544) for the discharge of stormwater in November 2012 and remains effective for a five-year period. The Town is currently in the process of renewing this permit.
According to the Storm Water Phase II Rule, as a small MS4 owner/ operator, the Town must reduce pollutants in storm water to the maximum extent practicable to practicable to protect water quality. The regulations specify that compliance with the maximum extent practicable requirement can be attained by developing a storm water management plan that addresses the six minimum control measures described in the storm water regulations. Those six minimum control measures are:
- Public Education and Outreach on Stormwater Impacts
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management: New Development, Redevelopment
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations