Butner Town Council Regular Monthly Meeting
April 1, 2021 Items of Interest
- Council approved to replace incandescent with LED lighting and fixtures at an approximately 70% discount. Duke Power offers the energy savings program to the Town, the offer expires May 31, 2021. Duke Power will install the equipment in Town Hall, Butner Public Safety, Soldiers Sports Arena and Public Works Shop. The LED’s will reduce our power bill and minimize the need for replacement bulbs.
- The costs of hauling at the recycling center have been higher than anticipated this fiscal and year and it is anticipated that the cost will exceed the amount budgeted.
- Council voted to approve extending the Town of Butner Emergency paid sick leave policy (BSICK) through June 30, 2021.
- Resolution approved to close Central Ave for Memorial Day 2021. The Butner Memorial Day Wreath Laying Ceremony will be held at Gazebo Park on May 31, 2021 beginning at 10:00 am. The requested closing is between D & E Streets from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Staff is working continuously on the 21/22 budget for revenues and expenses.
- Planning staff summarized Phases 1 & 2 of the LDO updates have been drafted and are under review by the Town attorney. (Phase 1 changes are those mandated by the North Carolina General Assembly 160D); Phase 2 will be additional updates to align with laws from various agencies not affiliated with 160D.
- Development Project Updates shows the ongoing projects that have not received final zoning inspection are: Food Lion parking lot, Jarco Supple and Altec chasis storage expansion.
- Butner Public Safety has started an initiative to get more of our drug abuse and crime prevention material out to the public.
- Butner Public Safety has begun a Safe Exchange Zone. A Safe Exchange Zone is where parties who have decided to buy or sell items over social media such as Facebook Marketplace and Craig’s List can meet to complete the transaction. This area is also designated for child custody exchanges. The new camera system has been installed and BPS have coverage of our public parking area and our lobby.
- Vanessa Jones has accepted the position of Interim Director, Chamber of Commerce Board. However, two staff members Wanda Garrett and Toni Anne Wheeler will be leaving the Chamber this month.
- Beautify Butner will be April 24 from 8:00 – 11:30 am at Gazebo Park.