Upon closure of Camp Butner in 1947, land was divided among four main entities: the War Assets Administration, the North Carolina National Guard, the State of North Carolina, and the farmers who held original ownership of the land prior to the camp’s construction. After nearly a year, the State of North Carolina took over the Camp and assumed police and fire services. The State continued to govern the area until the mid-2000’s, with the assistance of the Butner Advisory Council.
On November 1, 2007, Butner separated from the State and officially incorporated as the Town of Butner. The Butner Advisory Council became the first Town Council. These members were Vicky Cates, Christene Emory, Elbert Oakley, Jr., Edgar Smoak, John W. Wimbush. Linda Jordon served as Mayor Pro Tem. Thomas W. Lane served as Mayor 2007 – 2015.
Originally located in the Lathan Building, a state-owned building on East E Street, Town Hall moved to a converted residence on Central Avenue. After construction of a new building, Town moved to its current location and the building was dedicated on September 8, 2011. On July 1, 2013, the Town acquired Butner Public Safety (BPS), the agency which provides police and fire services for the area. This acquisition allowed for more transparency between the Town, BPS and citizens.